Sep 5th, 2013
Author: alex kuhn
I can truly say one of the reasons I have become passionate about working with athletes is because I grew up in the Pittsburgh area. If you live, or have lived in this area, you know exactly what I am talking about. One topic that fascinates me is how do people/organizations change their mentality from one of expecting to lose to one of winning? What if all the losing, the close calls, the winning seasons before collapsing at the end, actually was the impetus for this “so-called” dramatic turn-around. Is it possible? It’s probably likely.
Here is an email that I sent to some of my closest friends, who are rabid baseball friends from around the country.
This is a special email day as I got to write these words: the Pirates will not have a losing season in 2013. 20 years ago, I was sitting on my parents couch watching as Barry Bonds could not throw out the heavy-footed Sid Bream at home plate. But while as an 11-year old, I was sadden and shed a few tears as it was the third season in the row they made the NLCS, I believed that a championships was still in sight and could be obtain. As I aged and become wiser, I have learn there are no guarantees in life and that you have to make the most of the opportunities you are given. The Pirates are shining examples of how you can work so hard and get so close to RAPIDLY start a descent that will make you the laughing stock of the game we love, the only game with no time limit, the game we call baseball.
Over the past 20 years of futility, the following has occurred since the last winning season:
1. Home Run Totals: Alex Rodriguez-647, Barry Bonds-586
2. Big Brother: The Steelers only had 3 losing seasons, had 14 playoff appearances, and won 2 SuperBowls while also losing 2 of those games.
3. Top MLB team: The Yankees won 7 pennants during this stretch
4. For my Pop fans: Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus have never seen a winning Pirates team in their lifetime
5. Top Box-Office Movies: Forrest Gump, Braveheart, English Patient, Titantic, Shakespeare in Love, American Beauty, Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind, Chicago, The Lord of the Rings (all three)…and The Hobbit, Million Dollar Baby, Crash, Departed, No Country for Old Men, Slumdog Millionaire, The Hurt Locker, The King’s Speech, three Toy Story movies, and Argo.
6. And finally…according to the The National Hot Dog & Sausage Council, there have been 400 billion hot dogs eaten by Americans.
Am I happy about the Pirates winning season? I am ecstatic for two reasons…1) It’s great to see the Pirates have a winning squad as a fan, and 2) Pittsburgh thrives on successful sports teams. As a businessman, I am so happy to see that these businesses who have invested their time in associating with the Pirates finally seeing a huge payoff. They are hard-working family men and women who deserve both monetary gain and joy for their dedication.
Should September 4th, 2013 be a special day in the history of the Pirates organization? Absolutely! Does it rank up there with the World Series wins? I would argue yes for one reason only and one reason only. No one believed this day would come. No one believed (myself included) that the Pirates could be this good again. This, my friends, is as close to a sports miracle as it gets. The Pirates (ranking 27th in payroll) will have a winning season this year…and possibly more. Do I dare to hope again? Do I dare…